top of page


If you come in contact with any part of Giant Hogweed wash the skin IMMEDIATELY with cold water and get out of the sun. Wear sunblock when going out in the sun for the next few days after exposure to make sure the phototoxic effect of the plant has not acted on your skin.

Touching giant hogweed can also cause long-term sunlight sensitivity, and blindness if sap gets into a person's eye.

Wash the eye out immediately with water and wear sunglasses so the sunlight cannot activate the damage

The sap of giant hogweed is phototoxic and causes phytophotodermatitis in humans This light-sensitive skin reaction causes dark painful blisters that form within 48 hours and result in scars that can last anywhere from a few months to six years.

These serious reactions are due to the furocoumarin derivatives in the leaves, roots, stems, flowers, and seeds of the plant.

Giant Hogweed is highly invasive near river and stream banks, as well as on railway lines, disused waste land, parks, cemeteries, and other damp places.

When going out for walks etc always carry a pocket size sunblock with you so you can apply it immediately should contact occur

Call us at Fiona Roche Pharmacy for further guidance if required 01 2870224

29 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page